Welcome to the weekly 7th grade update! These emails are designed to keep you up to date on what's happening inside and outside the classroom here in the seventh grade.
- We're going back to the Museum of Nature and Science to visit the "Traveling the Silk Road" exhibit! Students brought home an information form yesterday that does not need to be signed and returned. The trip is scheduled for this week on Wednesday, April 8th. Students will need to bring a lunch and we'd love to have chaperones. Volunteer using the form sent home or by contacting Gabi, Mr. Logan, or Mr. Piza.
- Denver Art Museum Trip is next Thursday, April 16th. Again, students will need to bring a lunch and we'd love to have volunteers. Look for information to come home next week.
- No School on Monday, April 13th for teacher development.
- The End-of-Year Camping Trip to Golden Gate Canyon State Park is coming up next month: May 19th - 21st. More information along with packing lists and description of activities will be coming soon. Contact Mr. Piza (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have specific questions.
- We Need You - On the morning of Community Day, Saturday, April 18th, we will be hosting our 1st Annual DGS 5k Run/Walk at 8am and need as many volunteers as possible to help make this event a great one. Volunteers will help with set-up, aid stations, registration, and clean-up. Please contact Mr. Logan at email@example.com for more information. Thanks!
- Lastly, 7th grade hosted Round-Up, our whole-school assembly, the Friday before Spring break and did a fantastic job presenting the Dragon Trait of Courage! BIG SHOUT OUT to Frankie Rex, Ruth Ortiz, Grace Powers, Ashley Reyeros-Cortez, Kirsten Downing, Philip Powers, and Lillian Handy. Way to go!
Reading and Writing
- Students will complete their debates this week. These will in turn become the content for research-based arguments next week (with a focus on creating formal style).
- This week, we will also take our trip to the Museum of Nature and Science. This trip will help us create a hybrid world history activity where we write narratives using evidence from the past to create a work of historical fiction.
- In combination with the Silk Road trip/writing, we will also finish an investigation of globalization in the economy (starting back in time with the Silk Road).
- Finally, we will begin working on online portfolios to capture an end of year record of our Language Arts work.
We are in the final stages of planning for the first ever DGS 5K Run/Walk which will benefit Sandy's Food Bank right here at school! Students are working hard to prepare for this event which will also be the focus of our class demonstration on Community Day.
Our next major unit focuses on Probability. Students are grappling with "likelihood" and describing chance events. Remember to check your student's SchoolNet account for quiz results and check here for assignments and lessons.
Monday - None.
Tuesday - Lesson 5: #1 - 3 (plus practice).
Wednesday - Lesson 6: #1 - 2 (plus practice).
Thursday - Lesson 7: #1 - 2 (plus practice).
Friday - None
Have a great week!