- No school this Friday to help with parent-teacher conferences
- We have almost everyone signed up for parent-teacher conferences. If you are not yet signed up, you can do it here or contact us. If you need to change or cancel, please let us know. Also, if there are no times that work for you please let us know so we can schedule an alternative time.
- During conferences, students will be instructed to complete an interview. We have put the questions at the end of the e-mail so you can do it with your student even if you are not able to make it.
- This Thursday, October 5th is International Towne field trip to a bank in Cherry Creek. We are sending home reverse permission slips today. Remember you only need to sign them if you do not want your student to attend. If you would like to be a chaperone, let us know.
Topics = We are beginnig our 2nd unit on ratios and proportios more formally this week. We'll start off looking at ordered pairs to determine if they are proportional (think "fair") or not. We will then apply these rules to determine if values in a table are proportional or not.
Essential Questions = How do you decide if 2 things are proportional ("fair") or not? Are there ways you can use proportional relationships to prove that somethign in your life is or is not "fair"?
IXL skills = J.9 Do the ratios form a proportional relationship: Word problems
Topics = We are starting the last story and final work product for our first unit. Students will read a story and:
-identify story elements -analyze a characater using STEAL -answer inference based questions using ACE -and analyze the development of the theme in the story -students will also complete a final reflection on how to prevent bullying In writing students will use the idea of sentence structures and variety to improve body paragraphs in their values essays as try to get a rough draft completed
Essential Questions = Feel free to ask questions about any shared media experiences e.g. while watching a TV show, what is a character trait for the main character? What is the setting? Do you think the conflict is internal or external? What might be the subject and theme of this story?
Topics = How does the digestion system work?
Essential Questions = Who was the first person to investigate the digestive system? What helps us digest?
Education for Sustainability (EfS)
Topics = This is the week! This Thursday students will be going to International Towne. Last week they were trained in their positions and this week they will meet with their country's to understand what their country's role will be during the day at International Towne.
Essential Questions = After Thursday, ask how International Towne went. How did they perform their job? How did they see interdependence of countries in action?
English Language Acquisition:
Topics = How does my time in school relate to the world of work and to life at home and in the community?
Essential Questions = What careers would be interesting to me and how can I make informed career decisions?
Guardian-Student Interview QuestionsSocial
- Do you feel safe at school?
- Do you feel that building community has been a priority?
- How are your friendships and interactions with students going? Are you making any new friends?
Rules and Behavior
- Do you feel you know and understand the rules at school?
- How would you describe your behavior in class and out of class? Does your behavior help or hurt your learning?
- Is there something that you think could improve in yourself? What about anything that teachers need to improve on?
- What is your favorite class so far? Why?
- How would you describe yourself as a student?
- Do you feel that you challenge yourself to be a good student?
- Do you feel that the teachers are challenging you?
- Do you ask for help when don’t understand something? Do teachers help?
- Are you reading at school and at home on a regular basis?
- How would you describe your ability to write (short or longer assignments)?
- Are you using independent work time during math class to practice skills learned that day, get a good start on homework, and ask questions if you have them?
- Do you have a quiet place to regularly do your math homework? What is your routine about homework - remembering you have it, to doing it, to getting it back to school and turned in on time.